Sunday, July 5, 2015

Missed birthday and a $5 shirt

My first Sunday with out 'Jane', it was a little tough getting rolling this morning. My baby girl came up at about 7 this morning complaining about a sore throat. Her breath reeked so I believed her. I gave her a drink and a cough drop and she slept for two more hours, finally kicking me in the back and telling me to wake up. I found the cough drop later stuck to my sheets, too 'spicy' she said. The kids got up and walked the dogs and got dressed by themselves. 'Jane' has done such an amazing job with them. They just know what to do. I had to fix the girls hair a little bit but overall they looked good. I found some elk steak in the freezer and put it in the crock pot, I cut up some potatoes and yams so they were ready when we got home. It was snowing today as we drove to church. My second oldest son gave everyone the talk before we got to the church, 'there is one of him, six of us, so he is outnumbered. be good and he can only hold one at a time on his lap' sometimes I wonder who is parenting who. We walked into church and everyone was very kind to us. One of 'Jane's' friends came over and we chatted for a few minutes. She adores 'Jane' and was willing to do anything to comfort us. They have struggled will mental illness in their family so she can understand to some extent how we are coping. One of the talks was about how we have adversity in life and only Heavenly Father knows why but it will make us stronger if we will endure it. That use to be easy to say. I still believe it but the words now carry a far heavier meaning. I look at it like a curving graph. Our life before Thanksgiving was a curving graph of ups and downs, never too far up, never to far down. The graph has now changed. It took a big dip a month ago and now it is slowly curving up ever so slightly. Every conversation I have with 'Jane'  makes me realize she is trying with all her energies, and that line climbs just a tad bit. The awesome part is that it going to continue to climb. We will have our up days and down days, but it is going to climb up way higher than it has ever been. We have a chance to start over in our marriage, and I love that. That line can climb higher that it has ever been. That is how the Atonement works, when we put our faith in Christ, He can take away the hurt, pain, sorrows and take us to new heights, new happiness. I believe that both 'Jane'  and I will be healed and we will be so happy when that days comes. Life is not going to be all kicks and giggles from here out, but it will be better and I love that.  So church was great, not many people know what is going on but word will spread. I feel like I am in a tough spot, I want to protect 'Jane' but I can't, the truth is the only answer. But everyone has issues, if we all wore our issues on the outside, we would be sad lot. 'Jane' just has to realize that there is no judging going on, just lots of love and prayers that she will get better and come home. We came home and feasted on our Sunday dinner. I was amazed at how good it was, the kids loved it and it was all eaten. We had Italian sodas for dessert and then anxiously awaited the call from our girl. 'Jane' sounded good and chipper tonight. They don't do a whole lot on Sundays but she had a good day. I love watching the kids talk to her, they are so excited and they have huge smiles on their faces. My second older girl is probably the cutest, her voice is so high and cheerful and she is so optimistic. I told her that I loved watching her talk and she told me ' I just make myself sound happy so that it will make mommy happy, I don't want her to be sad'. I love that girl. That is what I imagine 'Jane' was like as a little girl. I let the kids watch a Studio C (They love Studio C!) after 'Jane' called and then we read from Michael Vey for 15 minutes, prayers and then off to bed. The girls have a new ritual before they got to bed, it is called 'dancing in the kitchen'. I scoop one of them up in my arms, sing the song "Family Tree" with customized lyrics for each girl and then swing them around the kitchen. They love it. They look forward to it all day. So we danced and loved and then I tucked them all in. I am worried about all of them. They have been so strong these last couple days but I can see the worry in their eyes, we may have some tears shed in the coming days. I actually hope they do, it would be good for all of us. I think I will plan a really good emotional lesson for FHE tomorrow night. That will get them feeling the Spirit.
So I had a memory come to me last night. It was not a happy memory and I feel bad about it still. I was a little abrupt when we got married, not in touch with my feelings or my wife's feelings. I did not know how to be a husband, to be tender, or caring. I had my dad to base my husbanding off of but that was lacking in so many areas. I love my dad, but he can be a little abrasive a lot of the times. So I came home from work one day, I had been working on our little house all day and we were living in the guest house behind my parents house. (That was a huge mistake in itself!) I was in the shower and 'Jane' was so excited to see me so she was sitting on the toilet ( Lid down:)!)  and we were talking while I was showering. She was so excited to tell me that she bought me a new shirt and it was going to look so good on me. I still remember my reaction and I regret it to this day. I told her that we did not have the money for that and that she should take it back. Right when I said it I knew I was being the biggest jerk. I think she only paid $5 for it. She left the bathroom and she cried. She took the shirt back and I never did wear it. I hurt her feeling over $5. I regret that to this day and have thought about it ever since. Another time, I was busy working and my life was hectic. It was her birthday and I was planning on stopping on the way home from work to get her some presents. My work day ran long and I headed home late. I decided to just do it the next day. I think this was her second birthday since we were married.. I got home and I could tell she was sad, I had not made a big deal about her birthday at all. I don't remember anything else about that night, but I remember waking up and she was not in bed. I walked out into the family room and she was sitting on the couch sobbing. She was heartbroken. I had done nothing for her birthday. I felt terrible. It is not like I did not have any notice that her birthday was not coming, it is on the same day every year. I will never forget how I made her feel that night. It was really important to her and it had not been important to me. I have since changed. I have done better over the years. But the sight of her crying I will never forget, it broke my heart. I hope she will overlook my follies in our first couple years of marriage, or in any years of our marriage, I have not been the greatest husband over the years. It did not mean I didn't love her, I was just selfish and never thought about what she was feeling, just if it was convenient for me. I regret that.
Not to end this entry on a downer, one of my most favorite memories of 'Jane' is our honey moon. What an amazing time of our marriage. Everything was so new for both of us. We were finally married, husband and wife, eternal companions. I was terrible at planning our trip. I put no thought into it, we just went. But I loved being with her. I remember driving back, she was a asleep, were just outside of Vegas, and I looked over at her and she was the most beautiful girl in the world. I remember thinking that I was the luckiest guy in the world that day to have her as my wife. I still feel that way. She is always doing good, always thinking of others before her self. She is so strong in that area, she is just selfless. That is one of the greatest lessons that she has taught me in our marriage, serve others and help others. She has been an example of that her entire life. I was sitting in church today and I was looking around at all the people that she has served, either by taking a meal or cookies, dropping off a note, watching kids, or stopping in for a visit. She is known in our church for the good that she does. She is the most Christlike person I know. I love my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment